Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Not Day 1.1

So,
This is what my plan was:
1) to choose 4 sets of stable friends I trusted, tell them my goal of leaving and stay on their couches for three months a piece.

2) to continue working and save the money to buy decent merchandise to sale for the road so that I could make extra change whenever I featured.

3) to plan my European Tour

4) to get the hell out of America at the age of thirty and explore, tour, do some rock star shit and come back.

Simple enough eh?

My friends thought so! I had chosen 4 sets of friends who I knew to be stable, and very chill. The first set was Doug and Hezzie. They are a practically married couple who is not married and they have a gorgeous young girl name Billie (but I call her Billis). Doug Hezzie and Billis offered me their home for the first three months. But of course, the more I told people my plans, the more offers I got to stay at many homes, so it took a while for me to even get to Doug and Hezzie due to house sitting offers. I spent the first three months of this last year chillaxed out in so many different houses and apartments. Some of my friends even paid me to stay at their place while they left. I'd told Doug and Hezzie that I would be at their place by my 29th birthday in August and didnt move in until October due to so many offers. So needless to say, the adventure to my adventure was a little off on the timing. But Hezzie and Doug were so sweet and welcoming just the same and Billis was fun to hug and kiss and dance with.

When I ran my 4 step program by the womyn in my family I did it with the same bright smile on my face and light in my eyes that I told my friends with. I thought they would be more excited than me about my adventurous plan. Long story hella short they were NOT havin it. I remember I was in my cousin's kitchen during her daughters birthday and she, my aunt Happy, and my sister totally protested against this journey. "I don't think you should do it. I think it's a horrible idea" my cousin said. Shocked, I asked her why. "Because it won't work! Your friends will change, they aren't gonna keep you on their couches - Joyce think about it, you are stable right now. You have a job, a nice place, nice things - why would you leave something stable for something unstable - I would never do what you are doin." "Of course you wouldn't" I responded "you had a child at my age - if I had a child I would never do this either." "No, no!" She persisted "IF I WERE YOU, if I were 29 without a child, with your life I would never do this." I realized something and  smiled when I said it "that's not true. You have no idea what it's like to be me."

I went home and called my logic. My logic is my cousin Stevie. Stevie is my second cousin. He is about 6'6 and he used to play for the Oregon Trailblazers. He is very handsome, as sweet as sugar and as honest as they come. He is the only person I will listen to without question. I trust his judgement because he has set such a good example of what a person should be with his own lifestyle. He has 4 daughters, and has been with his wife since I was 3. She is the ONLY womyn I have seen him with and they still look at each other like they wanna eat each other up one spoonful at a time. "Fussy" (that's what Stevie nicknamed me at the age of 3 and been callin me ever since) "I think this is a great idea. Even if it doesn't work at least you tried - but I think it's gonna work because you are steppin out on faith. In my life experience, my God has responded well to faith. Also, if you were a male in this family, no one would dare question your itchin foot" (an itchin foot means urge to roam and wonder). "you know Fussy, let the conversation you had with the womyn in your family be a lesson: you cant share your dreams and goals with everyone. Some folks are dream stealers. They'll destroy the hope you had in a dream before the fire is strong - and it doesnt mean that they are trying to do it. They don't have to be mean to be negative. Most people can't dream for themselves and be happy and hopeful about conquering their dreams so what do you expect them to say to you about yours? Especially the womyn you grew up with! Had you told them you were getting married to a man they had yet to meet but were thrilled about, they would've applauded you because that is typical of the womyn in this family. They can grasp the bland outcome. But now that you tell them that you are married to an idea, a dream that you or them have yet to meet, they cant show happiness - but they will say in the same breath that they serve a God that can make the impossible possible! I believe God has always had great things in store for you Fussy. Everything is gonna be fine. You're young, strong and wise. That's more than enough to fill in the blanks in any plan. Go for it."

1 comment:

  1. Joyce, excited for your stepping out of the comfort zone into the unpredictable on Faith. With Strength in Belief, your Dreams will happen. Families are resistant because they love you & hope to keep you near. It's only Love.

    ReplyDelete